Wednesday, February 27, 2008

superquick pasta to go

On Wednesdays we have our balboa lessons at 7, meaning that dinner has exactly 1 hour to be prepared and eaten after I get home. This Wednesday, that meant pasta.


That's right. Straight into a to-go container, because I never can seem to get it done quite in time.

I was going to make an alfredo sauce for William and a red sauce for me, but, alas! the leftover crushed tomatoes I had been saving had gone bad, bad, bad. It's a challenge I have discovered with only have two people to feed -- we frequently only use half a can of beans, a quarter of a head of lettuce, or half a can of crushed tomatoes, and don't get around to using the remainder until it's gone bad. Since buying in bulk is usually cheaper overall, it's an extra challenge when trying to eat cheap.

As I sniffed the tupperware container in despair, I realized with utter clarity that I should have whipped up a huge batch of tomato-based sauce the last time I made it, using all the crushed tomatoes, and freezed the leftovers. Oh well. Lesson learned. Someday I'll be good at this.

Instead, we stuck to alfredo sauce, which was mediocre -- better than the last two times I tried, which were disastrous, but I'm afraid that's all I can say for it. And since I pretty much hate alfredo sauce, it has to be spectacular before I enjoy it. Needless to say, I was scowly about dinner.

Plus steamed asparagus and a little bit of leftover red pepper and walnut stuff (I'd whipped it up last week to put on garlic bread), it was a meal, at least. I did remember how much I hate mediocre alfredo sauce. It's a good thing William loves cheesy sauces so much -- he, at least, was happy, and that did make me feel a little better about my poor planning and sad, rotten tomatoes.

Just a little.

No comments: