Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies


Say it. "Chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies."

"Chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies." It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? The sweet, sweet sound of genius. That's what it is.

"Chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies." Oh yeah. Why have I never experienced this joy before? Why haven't more than 8 people had this idea? "Chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies." That, my friends, is bliss in five words.



So these aren't technically chocolate chip cookies, even though I followed this recipe. They're more pulverized-chocolate-chunk cookies. They were going to be plain old chocolate chunk, but I had bought a bunch of bags of Dove chocolate on sale, and I was going to cut those up... but that's a lot of work! So back when I made this dough, I threw the chocolate in the food processor, and wound up with a few lovely chunks and lots of little shards.



I was sorely disappointed, and while William insisted that they're perfectly fine, I cannot help but feel as if the dispersed chocolate just doesn't have the same delightfully chocolatey effect. So, obviously, this time I had to cover them in chocolate.

The magic happens!

It was crazy easy. I had frozen some of the dough from when I made these cookies before, and all I had to do was thaw it in the fridge, slice it up and bake the cookies for 10 minutes. I melted the chocolate (more dark Dove -- this post should be an ad for Dove chocolate, it really should) in my beloved double boiler, dipped in the cookies, and popped them in the fridge.



I did not temper the chocolate. Truth be told, it didn't even occur to me. You know why? Because I wanted chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies (say it again!) and I wanted them right away, and tempering would have taken lots more time and effort than I was willing to expend. That's why. So yes, they had to go in the fridge, and they have to stay in the fridge, and as you eat them the chocolate gets all over your fingers. That's the best part! Licking dark chocolate off your fingertips after devouring a deliciously delectable chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookie? Man, that's the sort of thing I live for.

Moral of the story: You need more chocolate-covered chocolate chip cookies in your life right about now.


Oh yes.

1 comment: