Thursday, May 8, 2008

Vegetable stock

What's the difference between broth and stock, really? Can it be as simple as "stock is an ingredient, broth is a dish?" Because I'm not sure that it can. Isn't it french? French things are never that easy, I think.

Anyway. Stock! I'm making my own roasted vegetable stock. It should be done simmering away even as we speak. I found two handy recipes, and the second one even came complete with a forum with step-by step, illustrated instructions

Since I had such a great resource, of course the first thing I did was read all the way through it, carefully and completely, looking at the pretty little pictures. So or course I saw that it was recommended to use the leaves of the parsley, not the stems, and that the parsley was supposed to be added to the roasted vegetables and water. Carefully considering that advice, i decided to use leftover parsley stems, and roast them with the vegetables, because... um... I thought it would create a deeper, more complex flavor. Uh huh. That's it.

Gosh, I'm stupid. How do I keep missing the 'read the recipe' part of cooking? Once or twice would make sense, but you'd also think I would LEARN. I also got distracted and let it boil for a while before turning it down to a simmer. Isn't that bad for it somehow? I don't know. I just don't know.

Anyway. Yeah. That illustrated forum was great. Are you planning to make roasted vegetable stock? Do it like they do it! (As I say, not as I do!)

No comments: